Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Snow!

Books we read:
The Jacket I Wear in the Snow by Shirley Neitzel
No Snow For Christmas by Jill Kalz
Snowball Fight! by Jimmy Fallon
All You Need For a Snowman by Alice Schertle

    The Jacket I Wear in the Snow was fun to use to get the children involved.  They helped me read the story, because certain words are represented with pictures (jacket, mittens, boots, etc.).  Each time that word was used, they would look at the picture and tell me that to say.
    No Snow for Christmas is about a small town where they decide to create their own snow, since there is none on Christmas.  We talked about what kind of things we could make snow out of, and then read about what the characters in the story tried.

        For our craft, we made snowmen out of cotton!  All you need is: colored paper (blue and white for the sky and snow, black for the eyes and buttons, and orange for the carrot nose).  I used a hole punch to cut out the eyes and buttons.  Yarn, for a scarf (or ribbon in the hair if they make a snowgirl), glue, and cotton balls.






We used this for an outline of the snowman's body, that way the children knew where to glue their cotton balls

Songs and chants:

Once There Was s Snowman
Once there was a snowman, snowman, snowman, (put arms in a circle above head to create "snowman")
Once there was a snowman, tall, tall, tall! (grow taller, stand on tippy toes)
In the sun he melted, melted, melted, (shrink smaller)
In the sun he melted, small, small, small! ("melt" as small as you can)

Chubby Snowman
A chubby litte snowman (hold arms in a circle to make a fat belly)
Had a carrot nose (point forefinger out from your nose)
Along came a bunny (make bunny with yout fingers. Make it hop)
And what do you suppose? (turn palms upward and shrug)
That hungry little bunny (rub your tummy)
Looking for his lunch (shade your eyes, as if looking in the distance)
Ate that showman's carrot nose (make bunny with one hand, carrot with the other)
Nibbe, nibble, CRUNCH! (make the bunny eat the carrot wiht 2 small bites and one final big one)

I am a Sowman
I am a snowman, made of snow
I stand quite still at ten below (stand still)
With a big carrot for a nose (point to nose)
And worn out shoes to make my toes (point to toes)
I have two apples for my eyes (point to eyes)
And a woolen coat, about this size. (measure with hands)
I have a scaf that's warm and red. (grab neck)
And a funny hat upon my head (tap head)
The sun is comming out, oh dear! (make worried face)
The sun is melting me, I fear (slowly sink to the floor)
Oh my, I was so nice and round,
Now I'm just a puddle on the ground! (sit or lay on floor)

No comments:

Post a Comment