Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fun With Food!

Today's theme was food.  Here is a list of books we read:

Too Many Pears by Jackie French
Crunch Munch by Jonathan London
Little Pea by Amy Kroous Rosenthal


We played a game after reading a couple of books.  I handed each child a picture of a food item. There were healthy ones, such as carrots, milk, and bananas, and not so healthy ones like cookies, french fries, and soda pop.  Then each child took a turn bringing their item up and placing either the bag labled "Eat Often" (yellow hair) or "Eat Sometimes" (brown hair).  It was a fun activity for the children, which also helped them learn how to make good eating choices.

At the end of storytime, we made a Veggie Man.  The kids had fun pasting and coloring the veggies.  Most of them got the colors right, but a few decided that pink tomatoes and purple carrots would be much cooler.

We also had a wiggle song, a chant, and a poem that I had the children do during storytime.

Shake My Sillies Out
Gotta shake, shake, shake my sillies out
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out
Shake, shake, shake my sillies out
And wiggle my waggles away.

Gotta clap, clap, clap my crazies out.....
Gotta jump, jump, jump my jiggles out.....
Gotta yawn, yawn, yawn my sleepies out.....
Gotta stretch, stretch, stretch my stretchies out......
Gotta shake, shake, shake my sillies out.....

Carrots
Three little carrots (hold up three fingers)
What can I make?
I'll use one to make carrot cake.
(bend down one finger)

Two little carrots
Just watch my carrot tricks
I'll chop one to make some carrot sticks
(bend down second finger)

One little carrot
Alone in the sink
I'll blend one to make a carrot drink
(bend down third finger)

Color Fruits
One yellow banana extra nice,
Pretty please give me a slice.
Two round oranges really sweet,
What a super-duper treat.
Three red apples very bright,
Hurry up and take a bite.
Four purple plums in a sack,
Make a really special snack.
Five ripe pears all so yellow,
Yum, yum, how rich and mellow.
Six green melons nice to eat,
A dessert that can't be beat.
Seven peaches rather pink,
A good fruit to eat, I think.
Eight blueberries firm and good,
Do have some, you really should.
Nine cherries so shiny red,
Try some now, go right ahead.
Ten green grapes so great to munch,
Here, put a few in your lunch.

Here is another one that I thought was cute:
Vegetable Song
(tune of Twinkle Twinkle)
Carrots, Peas, and Broccoli,
Vegetables are good for me.
For my snack and in my lunch,
Veggie sticks are great to munch.
Carrots, Peas, and Broccoli,
Vegetables are good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment